Wednesday, May 10, 2006

The Glaze

Have you ever noticed the glazed look on some of the yellow-coloured Singaporeans? I don't mean the look in their eyes but the shiny glean of their skins - as though there is a permanent film of oil plastered to their faces. Well, after years and years of observation, I've realized a few things.

Firstly, this phenomenon is quite unique to those who have yellow-coloured skin. Secondly, there seems to be a correlation with the background of the individual to the glaze. Those who are generally understood not to have the habit of bathing frequently enough (especially in the morning) seem to have a 'better' glaze than those who have a wider exposure to cultures, habits and general hygiene. There is also quantifiable evidence that those with 'the glaze' are those who can be spotted having dry hair that is clearly shaped from sleeping on a pillow (of course there are fakers who gel their hair for the 'wet look'), with eye shit still lingering, crease lines on the face/body from sleeping on the bed, and, sometimes, a bit of dried drool near the mouth and/or chin.

Even though it could be a particularly ethnic-related phenomenon, the fact of the matter is that those from the same ethnicity who shower regularly (especially in the mornings) do not display 'the glaze'. The worst cases of 'the glaze' are normally accompanied with pungent body odour (permeating even through litres of perfume).

Even though there is no doubt that such glazed people do shower/bathe every once in the while, the rate of cleansing is so low that the glaze cannot be removed and exists even immediately after a shower. The underlying inference is the glaze (or oil, or dirt, or whatever the hell it is) is infused to the skin.

Ironically, it has always been these yellow-coloured people's misconception that those that are dark-skinned are so because of 'accumulated dirt'. What a turnaround reality is. You can do your own casual observations to verify the facts stated here. Although there may be instances where 'the glaze' can be witnessed on non yellow-coloured persons, it is an extremely rare scenario. It is my contention that this theory of 'the glaze effect' (with regards to yellow-coloured Singaporeans) can be statistically proven if a proper study is conducted.

Now, will there be any takers who would like to TRY and disprove me? Using the rationale of our local politics - in the absence of disproving me, it will be deemed that I am correct.

Disclaimer: I have been objective in my observations and have drawn conclusions from what is observable. I do not and cannot determine the intention of those that I criticize. As ever, my conclusions are not absolute and I always concede the fact that there will always be anomalies.

PS --> Please continue with the condemnations and insults to me. It serves to reinforce my prejudice and bias against you and spur me on with my work. Finally, before you cast the first stone at me, think about this: Are you with absolutely zero prejudice that you can truthfully take the hide road and condemn me? If your answer is 'yes', then aren't you contradicting your 'zero prejudice' by condemning me (ie. biased against my views)?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have to agree with you as I, working in one of the prestigious universities in the world do come across people who absolutely careless about their personal hygiene. But have you ever considered if it is tied to some health or medicinal beliefs that it is better to shower in the night than in the mornings? Maybe because of rheumatism or dunno what else? Or mebbe these are just myths and they need to be educated on these bogus beliefs.
But in reality, it is really a pain in the eyes and I do feel disgusted to even seat and eat with these people....whether they are the Chinese, the Indians, Malays or any ethnicity for that matter....it's just plain disgusting and boy...they really stinks.

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I notice a "fuzz" in white coloured ppl also that seems to trap body odur with minimal amt of exercise, eg. walking one flight of stairs.

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well regardless of what you say you can't shake off the fact that brown skin people are born failure. Why do I make this presumption?

Fact 1
They turn into terrorist at the first sight of economy depression, burn people houses or gang rape innocent girls (referring to our southern brown neighbors).

Fact 2
Every Monday I notice a common occurrence of brown people taking emergency leave and MC.

Fact 3
I am not trying to be critical here but you guys have been given a fair share of subsidiaries; free education (in Singapore), entry into universities no matter how stupid you are (Malaysia) or given the liberty to rape and plunder with prosecution yellow skin houses and wealth (Indonesia) and yet you guys still cannot seems to work round the subsidiaries and become as successful as us. Please wake up and do your race proud!

11:14 PM  
Blogger StraightToThePoint said...

Hmmmm, perhaps you are one of the 'glazed ones' I was talking about? I wonder why you would get so riled up if you weren't. Disprove me first before coming out with a retort - that would be a more credible approach towards your anti-brown skin perspective.

12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this is a myth. All my chinese acquaintances shower in the morning. The 'glazed look' which you speak of may be due to their diet or, perhaps, the generous application of moisturisers.

to anonymous,

clumping all 'brown-skinned' people as a homogenous mass is as helpful as clumping all 'white-skinned' people. There is as much difference between one 'brown-skinned' group and another as there is between one white-skinned' group and another, i.e. malays vs indians and w.europeans vs e.europeans.

Economics, history, and its contribution to and, in turn, the contribution of culture has got a lot to do with the disparate reactions of people to the same stimuli.

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home